I have a confession to make: Most of the days I am a pretty lazy cook. That means I have to get creative when I still want to eat healthy meals. One of my favourite solutions for this is my super easy sweet potato recipe.
It is extremely quick to make, thanks to my “sweet potato preparation hack”. When I am really hungry, I get it done in 5 minutes – and it still looks like a proper lunch!
It’s also pretty healthy – you could call it healthy fast food. I mean, you surely know about all the benefits of sweet potato, don’t you? (Obviously I will give you a refresher anyways, I just have to.)
Sweet potato benefits
Sweet potatoes are a food staple with numerous benefits. The even put them on position 1 of the “10 best foods”.
Plus, they count as a vegetable. In this regard they are different from normal potatoes which are considered a starchy food and do not count towards your 5 a day. (If you use the Dr Greger’s daily dozen checklist, sweet potatoes fall under “Other vegetables”.)
Sweet potatoes are
- Good for your digestion
- thanks to their high amount of dietary fibre
- really good for your skin
- because of various vitamins and beta carotene
- because of their low GI, which is especially important if you want to beat hormonal acne
- good for your heart
- mainly due to the amounts of B-vitamins
- helping with Cancer prevention
- beta carotene again – it is a powerful antioxidant
My easy sweet potato recipe: The ingredients
By now I hopefully convinced you that sweet potatoes are a pretty good choice for any 5 minute recipe. So let’s look at what else will be part of our easy sweet potato recipe.
For making this savoury recipe you’ll need:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- a handful of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of freeze-dried chives
- grated pecorino to taste
Sounds pretty manageable, right?
My easy sweet potato recipe: 5 minute preparation
Like I told you above, when I make this recipe I am usually pretty hungry already. Hangry even. So there is no time for long preparations and 30 minute baking in the oven.
No, this recipe needs to be quick and painless. One step that we cannot skip, sadly, is peeling your sweet potatoes. Luckily it gets faster the more you do it. (When I was a little girl, peeling one potato would take me like 10 minutes. And afterwards there wouldn’t be much left of the potato anymore. But that’s another story.)
Timer is ticking now!
- Put the peeled sweet potatoes in a small bowl. Ideally they don’t lay completely flat, but stand upright a little bit.
- Now you can simply pop in in the microwave for 2 minutes. While you wait, let’s work on the rest of your simple sweet potato meal.
- Wash your tomatoes and chop them into pieces. I usually just do something similar to cubes, but it won’t make a difference. If you prefer slices, go for that.
- Did you hear that “ding”? Microwave reporting the end of the 2 minute cycle. Carefully turn the sweet potatoes around and put them right back in. Another 2 minute microwave round.
- Now it’s time to grate the cheese, if you chose to use any. I really recommend it, because otherwise the whole thing might taste a little too sweet.
- When the microwave is done again, it’s time to put everything together. Cut the sweet potatoes open and sprinkle with grated cheese and chives. Add the chopped tomatoes to the bowl and you are done!
What do you think?
Are you gonna try this super easy sweet potato recipe? Do you have much better ones? I would love to hear your opinion in the comments! Thank you and bon appetite!
Related: My super healthy Quinoa breakfast